Wednesday, March 18, 2009

'' Legend of a Cowgirl '' : Instrumental Sampling

One of the many reasons i wanted to be recording producer/DJ is the skill of producing an instrumental so original and articulate that i would get a call from someone asking to sample my work. It's a good feeling to know that someone else was inspired by your own work cause that's more proof that your work still holds influence over a current audience rather being labeled as ''yesterday's news'' while another musician is in the limelight.

The 1997 hit, ''Legend Of A Cowgirl'', which solidified Imani Coppola as one-hit wonder samples one of my favorite 60s classic, ''Sunshine Superman'' which was released in 1966 by Donovan. I actually heard ''Legend Of A Cowgirl'' when i was 18 years on the radio, and thinking it was originally made by the current artist, Imani, i got hooked onto the psychedelic soulful instrumental. But a year later i stumbled upon the ''Sunshine Superman'' song on a commercial and realized that instant that Legend Of A Cowgirl was sampled. After hearing Sunshine Superman, it made me develop an interest in 60s songs and contributed to my appreciation of 60s music when i hated it at first. But one question that is on my mind about sampling, is to how does a current mainstream producer in get contact with just any past producer in order to sample a song that was made like 40 years ago? Cause there are tons of instrumentals that i'm dying to revive for two or three tracks on an album!

1 comment:

  1. As an avid music collector I really appreciate your tastes in music cause it's alot of the music I grew up with and can relate to. I really can't wait to hear the music you eventually will come up with. = )
    I also really like this song it's very funn and the type of odd song I would listen to just because. lol...I can't wait to hear what other songs you put up here.

    ReplyDelete